Reflection 9/1-9/7




Not So RISKay Business

When I first learned that we were going to play Risk in class, I was worried because I knew that these intensive board games have very specific rules and regulations that by learning might cause me to have a learning curve. Then I remembered that one of my friends from back home is a serial board game player, so I ended up calling him to get a better understanding for the game. He got me pumped. It was cool how an activity in class led me to talk to my friends back home again. :) Additionally, my excitement was only magnified when we started playing Diplomatic Risk. First, I learned that I was on the hegemonic team which is a huge plus because we start the game with a very strong foundation. As long as we learn how to whisper better so the other teams can’t hear us, I’m really happy with how our team works. Second, I have the most awesome special power, and I cannot wait for the opportunity to use it. It’s going to be a FUN time. You can bet I will be analyzing the map for ways for me and my team to gain an advantage prior to our class on Monday. Third, I always doubted the value game theory had for international relations because in the real world there are considerations that need to be taken in on a human and emotional level like lives lost and human rights abuses that aren't in games like Risk. So, I'm excited to explore the educational values of this game and maybe the ensuing class discussions will challenge my opinions on its educational value. Either way, I support playing board games for fun during any class. 

Comments