A Week in Reflection #4 - Asim Siddiq


This has been a long week for me. Learning to fight external forces while remaining focused on my classwork proved to be very difficult. I find that, rather than stressing or worrying about things that are out of your hands, it is better to divert attention to items that are directly in your control. Sure, it is reasonable to want things to go your way, but a lot of times that is not how it works out. It is imperative that one knows how to adapt and think on the fly. I learned this lesson the hard way this week.

World Politics offered a lot of takeaways this week. We had both controlled and open discussions about The Prince. Making students represent their opposing views in the controlled pro/con discussion was genius. It allowed both sides to dig deep and reaffirm their footholds. I personally learned a lot about the cons of The Prince. As we discussed this week, I realized the plethora of fallacies and discrepancies that exist in the text. However, it all still remained irrelevant to me, as I still believe that Machiaevelle successfully fulfills the purpose he sets out for. I enjoyed the pro/con discussion a little more because it REQUIRED active involvement by everyone. The key to having a fruitful discussion is active participation. I believe when everyone gets involved the entire class benefits.

Comments