A Week in Reflection #5 - Asim Siddiq


Honestly, this week was good. I was met with different challenges, and ultimately think I came out on top. I had my first Arabic quiz this week, so I stress studied way too much. I did well on the quiz but realized next time maybe I should take it a little bit easy! I had a good time attending an event at the Library of Congress Friday and look forward to attending similar events soon. This week, more than ever, I realized that living in Washington D.C. is actually the coolest thing ever. The opportunities that are unique to this area surprise me more and more every week.

Class this week consisted of a lot of discussions. I enjoyed both topics a lot; however, I found a particular interest in the oil discussion. We never got around to it, but I would have loved to discuss other examples of attempted indirect control in history. I would have offered the U.S support of Afghanistan during the 1979 invasion from the Soviets as a perfect example of the risk involved with indirect control. The U.S. armed the Afghanis in hopes of deterring the Soviet's ability to hinder oil supply to the states. This helped in the short term, however, backfired when the U.S. invaded Afghanistan themselves and had their own weapons used on them. I look forward to seeing what next week will bring! I hope the readings are fun and the discussions are even better!

Comments