Reflection 9/15-9/21

My sleep schedule's wack

To be honest, I don’t remember much of this week because it passed by in such a hectic blur. I had my first college presentation, paper, and test this week and I am so looking forward to the weekend. However, I will most likely be stuck in a cafe stressing over the homework I have to do. *sighs*

Class was fun, though. However, I enjoyed the class debates more than the softball discussion. While the class debates required everyone to participate, I felt that the softball discussion was really limiting. I had such a good point Asiddiq’s question that furthered Christopher Trzaska’s ideas! I will now state that response here.

Asiddiq basically asked the question “If Machiavelli’s points about leaders needing to be “compassionate, trustworthy, sympathetic, honest, religious, and indeed be all these things” are true, how did Trump get elected (chapter 18)? To answer this, I need to bring up Christopher Trzaska’s point about how a strength of Trump is that he really does embody the animal and man dichotomy because there seems to be no limits to what he will do. In short, he said something like “Irrationality can be good in a leader,” But, in a democracy, where the president is considered to be “one of the people,” having an irrational leader leads to having an irrational population. Trump’s populist rhetoric ignited and normalized a lot of feelings in some people that were considered improper to hold in society before his election. In fact, USA Today reports the Council on American-Islamic Relations found in their report a 74 percent increase in anti-Muslim hate crimes since Trump took office. Irrationally justifies irrationality. So, when the leader of a country has a human/animal dichotomy, the beliefs spill over to the population.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2018/08/10/white-supremacists-neo-nazis-charlottesville-unite-right-rally-trump-column/935708002/


Comments