Reflection: Week of 9/2-9/6

           I don't know how to play Risk, and I'm even more clueless on how to play Diplomatic Risk. Anything I've ever learned about the military comes from Mulan or Captain America. Luckily, I'm not the Head of State and don't have to control any armies. However, all I've learned about diplomacy comes from Madam Secretary. As my team's diplomat, I probably should be a little more prepared.
           The game seems pretty much straightforward: win wars and get land. But the rules don't include anything on secret deals and negotiations. I guess that's up to us. I don't really know what's going on but pretend that I do so that my team can make better deals. I'm hoping that everyone else is pretty much in the same boat. No one has played the diplomatic version of Risk before, so no one can really be an expert.
           That brings me to my point about this week. None of us really know that much about world politics. Sure, we know about world affairs and the politics of our country as well as foreign countries. But if we really knew about world politics, we wouldn't be taking this class. So while I don't know how to play Diplomatic Risk, and I also don't know how to actually be a diplomat, I have a feeling that this game, and this class, will be a learning experience.

Comments