Reflection: Week of 9/23-9/28

           I can't even remember what happened this week. I'm so tired, stressed, hungry, and confused. My hypothesis is that it's because I didn't have pizza this week, but my closest friends would argue otherwise. It's more likely because I have two research projects on top of all my readings and my statistics class is so hard. My type-A brain keeps telling me to just do work all the time, but I wouldn't have survived this week without my friends.
           This week has been rough. Many of my weeks have been rough but I always make it to the weekend. As much as I want to do work, my friends keep me in check to make sure I don't overdo it. I wanted to finish reading an article on Thursday night, but my room was invaded by my friends who had no reason to visit me. Even though I didn't get work done, I laughed so much that night that I couldn't breathe. On Friday night, I wanted to do homework at dinner so that I wouldn't waste time, but my best friend insisted that we talk to each other instead of staring at our laptops. We talked about some really important stuff, and we learned a lot about each other.
           This week was a blow to my high-school-valedictorian ego. Towards the end of high school, I got to the point where my GPA was all that mattered. I'm learning that I can be good at other things besides school. And I'm still learning to accept that I'm good at nonmeasurable things, like being a good friend or using my time well. I received a lot of good advice this week from a weird and wide range of people. It's no surprise to people who know me well- I take all advice to heart.
           In kind of an odd theoretical stretch, I thought about realism vs liberalism while writing this. Realism applies to how I have been behaving- trying to be the best, working really hard, and not letting my guard down. Liberalism applies to the better parts of my week- the idea of pluralism in working with my friends and trying to improve myself without comparing myself to others. But neither of these are the perfect life structure for me. It was the combination and balance of these two that brought me satisfaction at the end of the week. Maybe that goes for the rest of the world too.

Comments