A Week in Reflection #9 - Asim Siddiq


This week, I felt the wrath of the east coast weather. A product of a warm and mild southern climate, this freezing weather does not compliment me well. Aside from all the "fun" school work I completed this week, I found extreme pleasure in the start of the NBA season. I spent several days this week in front of my small computer monitor watching basketball games. Spending all this time watching basketball just may have caused me to slack on certain assignments. Learning to balance this new distraction is essential if I am going to make it through this semester.

I had a good time participating in the simulation. I think my group did an exceptional job representing the values of the Shell Corporation. It was interesting to see the dynamics of the private sector and corporations fighting NGO's in a classroom setting. The disagreements that pursued in the class represented precisely why we can't get anything done in real life. I believe everyone had the same ends but had different means to reach those ends. My biggest takeaway from the simulation was that in gridlock, the people always lose. Using this knowledge as a strategy for the next simulation, I will endeavor to make concessions to work toward a solution that garners majority support.


Comments