Double Double

Does it, therefore, follow that those with double consciousness understand the society they are living in better than those at the center do? Do only certain kinds of double consciousness afford this epistemic privilege, or are there multiple marginal points of view...and how might we deal with that multiplicity? In a way, what I am asking here is: might there not be certain benefits, not to say advantages, or having a double consciousness? 

Before I tackle this question, I would like to define what double-consciousness means to me. Double consciousness is when you have more than one social/racial/ethnic/religious/cultural identity, which makes it hard for you to develop a sense of self. This difficulty arises as a direct result of one of your identities clashing with the dominant societal perception.

I believe that there is a multitude of different marginal views; however, the subject of “multiplicity” in this context runs away from the main point I will try to get across. So, to address this early, I would say that any marginal viewpoint would contribute to double consciousness. However, I would not refer to this as a “privilege” at all. Applying the label of “privilege” almost obscures double consciousness as something with a complete positive nature or value.

People with a double conscious definitely understand society better than those at the center, I believe that statement is very trivial at this point.  

Moving on to the broader question, are there benefits to having a double consciousness? This answer to this question is yes but only to a certain extent. Allow me to explain. I have an identity that clashes heavily with its’ dominant societal counterpart. Sure, this identity allows me to view society from a different lens and see it for what it is, but does that change anything? Does me having this more profound knowledge of what drives society give me any real advantage? I mean, sure I can see society for its faults and point out where I think there are breakdowns, but does anyone really value what I have to say? Does anyone within a dominant group value what someone who has one foot in but the other out of the circle has to say? These are the questions I pose to myself when asked if there is any advantage to having a double consciousness.

Digressing a bit, my answer can be tied to an old saying. Knowledge is power. No experience is useless. A person with a double consciousness should use their more in-depth understanding of society, and almost weaponize it. (of course, not in a harmful way) In a way that will help foster continuity and help the members of the dominant group learn about what they don’t know about themselves.

Comments