Reflection 9/29-10/5

charlie don't surf - the clash

Good news! I don’t think I’m sick anymore, and I am LOVING it. My throat feels so much better, and now I’m going to do everything in my power to make sure I don’t become sick again. So, germs better watch out.
On a more topical note, another thing we need to be on the lookout for is unwarranted cynicism. I get it; both realism and liberalism are founded on the view that humans are inherently awful, and when that’s applied to international relations theory, it means that countries do not act unless it’s in their self interest to do so. However, liberalism also states that systems can “fix” these human flaws and create a better society. When that ideology is applied to individuals, isn’t it kinda beautiful? I think it’s cute how we can say that our friends, relationships, and interactions with others have the potential to better us. I’d like to think that mine do.
Yeah, it’s pretty lovey-dovey, but I’m in a good mood. Of course, I recognize that countries don’t follow the above ideology which is why I was so interested in the human trafficking article. I never thought that human rights could be a byproduct of national security policy, but as the article states, it’s all about perspective. I believe that the national security argument is one of the greatest initiators of policy creation in a state which makes sense because security policy preserves the sovereignty of the state. I’m going to hold onto this strategy in my metal toolbox.

Comments