Reflection: Week 6 - avq

Reflection: Week 6

           I swear these last few weeks have gone by like a blur. However, at the same time, it feels like I have been here for months. There are no in-betweens. Well now, since it is officially October, Christmas is just around the corner—yeah, I know what you are thinking, “but Alexandra, what about Halloween and Thanksgiving?” Those are important too; however, my family could not come to Parents’ Weekend, and I will not see them until December. Also, I will admit that I have been grooving to Christmas music lately. But the more I thought about Parents' Weekend, that is when I began to feel homesick. It is also when I realized how much I missed home. However, I had a busy week, which kept me preoccupied.
        After this past week, I feel more comfortable identifying a realist and liberal concept. At first, I was unsure of the theory behind liberalism, but after rereading the Federalist Papers and conversing with other GloSchos, I now have a better understanding. A liberal and a realist will act out of self-interest. However, a liberal is conscious of individual freedom and the need for democracy. Without the representation of the general body, then it is assumed that the leaders will abuse their power. In addition, that is a reason as to why Madison mentioned that there must be checks and balances within the government. Also, a liberal is concerned about the country’s economy and identifying ways to spur growth. I think that is what liberalism is?

        Now, here are my thoughts the class thus far. Unlike a traditional lecture-style class, I believe this way of learning is creative and provoking. Rather than receiving the general idea of each concept, we discuss what we believe it may be and learn from it. However, I will say that I think that I prefer a small group discussion because I do not feel the pressure of a larger group. I think that a small group fosters inclusion more than a larger one. However, it may just be that I am afraid to be wrong while in a large group discussion; thus, that may be why I do not speak as much as I wish. However, I will get there…someday.

Comments