Reflection: Week 9 - avq

Reflection: Week 9

“Hello, and good morning. My name is Alexandra Ventura Quiroz, and I am the Chief Operations Officer here at Shell.” I thoroughly enjoyed representing Shell during our simulation this past week. At first, I was concerned that I would not know how to approach the task. However, after numerous discussions with my group and others, I felt more confident. My objective was to identify any ties that Shell could have with the other organizations. There were some that I was grasping at loose straws. For instance, I did not know how Shell could partner with the Human Rights Watch. The HRW mainly focused on investigating and exposing human rights violations. A pitch that I thought could work was having the HRW cover the terrorist attacks that are led by Boko Haram. Also, report the good that Shell will do to help the government and country. However, I knew that the HRW would instead turn their attention towards Shell. As the saying goes, “You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make him drink.” 
I loved how our group decided to dress as if we were representing Shell. We were not trying to show off; instead, we were livening the situation. It is easy to become severe and formal during a simulation such as that, however, if people are not having fun, then do we truly enjoy our time there? 
I found it interesting that I was placed in the Shell Corporation group. It was evident that each of us was placed in certain groups that did not necessarily align with our beliefs. Not to say names, but those who tend to lean towards US involvement were places in passive organizations and vice versa. So I began to wonder, “Why was I placed in Shell?” Do I find myself to be a passive or aggressive person? My conclusion, both. It mainly depends on the situation. If I find that it is necessary for military involvement, then I am for it. However, that is the last option. First, I would identify civil ways the US can control/influence the situation. If that does not work, then we would raise the stakes and potentially mention that the US has a military. If that fails, then you can assume what will occur. All in all, I thought that Shell fitted for me. Not only has the company done corrupt things, but we aspire to see Nigeria prosper.

Comments

  1. I loved our presentation.... the shell corporation is going to save all of Nigeria!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment