A Week in Reflection #11 - Asim Siddiq



This week I bounced back. Reeling after a hard week, I decided from Monday that I was going to take a new approach for the rest of the semester. Endeavoring to get ahead of the curve, I finished all my assignments and readings way ahead of time. This new approach worked well for me. I felt much more prepared for all my classes. Most importantly, I got to sleep. I needed to sleep. Going forward, I am excited to see how the rest of the semester shakes out. Starting next week, I will introduce a new form of reflection!

This week was by far my most favorite yet. The discussions we had on wealth and sovereignty shed light on a lot of topics that were foreign to me. My favorite part of class was my accidental use of the term “good colonialism.” Looking back on it, even though it was an accident, I meant what I said. The term “development” is just a social construct. Similar to the social construct of sovereignty, the term “development” is created to make society feel like colonialism is not still prominent in our modern world. We want to feel like we have control and that the world is not so cutthroat. It is. Concepts like sovereignty and developing countries are manufactured by society to make them feel better about what they do and how they do it. I like how we maneuvered through the sticky topic of wealth. I can tell that the class is really switching from learning to application. Excited to see what we do next!

Comments