Reflection: Week 11/11-11/16

           This week has been a blur, but so has this semester. I can't believe I have 2 and a half weeks of classes left this semester. It feels both like we've been here forever, and like we've been here for no time at all. I feel like time is going by too fast which is a little stressful to say the least. My friends are applying for internships and building resumes, but I feel like I'm still in the process of moving in. I don't even know exactly what I want to do with my life. Where would I even start?
           Despite all the work I have piled up, I went to the Newseum this week. It has one of the best views in the city (it makes me want to go to John Hopkins just to take classes in that building) which reminded me of how much I wanted to live here. The first time I came here was five years ago, and that's when I decided I would live and work here. Of course, back then I had zero appreciation for the Newseum because I thought news was boring. 
           The museum also reminded me of what I want to do. Journalism and communications have been an interest to me for a while now and while it's an intense and stressful career, it still holds interest to me. The Newseum paints journalism as such a rewarding and important career- and it is. I've been researching and writing about the media a lot lately, and it's really interesting to me. I'm not sure if it's exactly what I want to do, but it's a path I'd be willing to go down.
           The most important moment this week, possibly this semester, was in the Pulitzer Prize photograph exhibit. Some of the pictures made me tear up, some of them were so historically significant that I can't describe the emotion they brought. The picture that was most important to me, however, was this one.
This picture and the story behind it was so emotionally moving that I think I cried three times about it. But it reminded me of why I'm doing everything I'm doing: to help people. Whether it's through media, diplomacy, consulting, or whatever people with IR degrees do- I may not know the exact path I'm going down, but I know what I want to do and I think that's a start.

Comments