12/1-12/7 Reflection

"Flying Kites" by Jeremy Zucker

I didn’t know what international relations was when I started this course. I had some expectations to learn about world trade patterns, historical alliances between countries, international organizations, talk about some current events, realism/liberalism, westernization, and learn the value systems of certain countries. Mind you, we did do that, but we also did a lot more that I didn’t think fit/didn’t know existed in the topic of international relations like The Truth About Awiti and The Conquest of America. I never expected international relations to be so focused on identity and character building, but I honestly love that so much, even though it means that I am leaving class with a very scary realization that I still don’t know what to do with. I have always believed in confidence in reason which is the belief that people will be able to overcome selfish interests and become cooperative and inclusive after learning about others and their perspectives. Learning about Cortez really scared me. I don’t know how to deal with people who just don’t want to help the world get better and rather just focus on their own individual goals. How can you understand but not love?

I was looking back at the essays that I wrote for the Global Scholars program, and, woah, it feels like I wrote them a lifetime ago. I wrote about my Junior year English research paper that I am so proud of and even included the names of certain databases in the essay for some random reason. Then, I wrote about the Walkout Against Gun Violence at my school. High school is very different from college, and I know I enjoy college more, but I have a strong longing to go back home. I’m really glad that break is coming up.

I’m also really glad that we get to play Risk this Thursday.

Comments